View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #141
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Part of the trick with using the Jeep seats is the mounting locations are now where near the ribs in the floor where the stock bench seat was bolted down. This is good and bad. Good, because the area where they will bolt to the floor is flat and easy to work with, but bad because the floor is only a single layer of sheet metal. To combat this issue, I am going to weld in an extra layer of 18ga sheet metal under the existing floor, once i have all the work finished on the bottom of the cab. Behind the extra metal, I am adding in the anchor plates I made yesterday.

I used pieces of 3/16" plate stock cut to 2"x3" with the mounting holes drilled offset, for a cam effect when snugging things up. It will be less of an issue once they are finally welded in place.

With my holes drilled, I used flange nuts to weld to the plates, to bolt the seats down.

Once the nuts were welded up, I dog eared the corners to keep from having a sharp point to potentially slice the cab floor in the event of a collision.

With the seats bolted up and the gas tank out of the cab, there is a wealth of space to be utilized behind the seats.

I think this will be a good place for a small speaker box with concealed locking storage. I'm not big on the whole box speaker thing, but to camouflage the locking storage, it will blend in nicely.

-Joe