Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Titomars

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Thanks, and yeah, this is one of the few design flaws of our beloved trucks, that silly lip in the bottom of the radiator core support catches water, dirt, and of course battery acid drippings. The other terrible design flaw is the taco hood. Another one would be the dumb always on blower fan in the cabin, so annoying. Then there's the lame fuel tank filler neck that you have to squat and hold the gas pump nozzle just right or it will run on the side of the truck, LOL. There may be one more, but I forget.
In GM's defense, I would argue over some of those said design flaws.
when the fuel filler location were designed the filler nozzles of the day were of the old type (like a diesel nozzle) they were not problem like the vapor recovery nozzles are.

The "taco" hood was a DOT mandate to all manufacturers. before the event of the folding hood, In a front end collision the hoods had a better than average chance of entering the passenger compartment and under enough cases decapitating occupants.
due to their flat design, the real cause of the hoods bending over time is lack of lube to the hinges.

The blower on always was not a defect this was GM wide feature of their "Flow-Through" ventilation system. A lame idea in my book, but........