Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #3076
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Your experience with the heads is exactly why I haven't bothered upgrading for. You spent how much money now on used heads to find out they are junk?

Sometimes you have to spend money the right way to avoid headaches and if that means buying heads from a shop ready to go then so be it.

I see it as you now have spent $300? Between two heads and the test material? That is one head brand new.
After I buy the fourth head I would have spent approximately $190 on four heads, however this includes rockers that came on the first pair. If I did things right I had the opportunity to return the cracked heads, which would have put me back down to a set for just under $100.

I would not count the SPOTCHECK $75 dollar expense against the heads as I would have bought that to check my old heads or my block anyways.

I agree with you, knowing now what I didn't know then I will not build or rebuild another engine with used cylinder heads, but hey education costs, and I don't mind paying, I have learned a ton and am still learning, and honestly I enjoy this hands on stuff, I learn way more this way than from a book, or a YouTube video, or reading the Internet.

If nothing else, now when I read any forum about doing a top engine swap using old used Vortec heads I will just think, yeah right, good luck with that, LOL
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote