View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
LBJ

Re: Running rough and stumbling

I just went thru some of this on my 77 Bonanza. Check the rubber fuel line between the chassis and the fuel pump to see if it has a tear or hole. It can suck air and the engine will stumble. Perhaps a dirty fuel filter as well. As a last check, see if your gas cap is allowing air to enter. It has a one way valve that lets air in, but not the fuel from sloshing out. If it won't let air in, you eventually will build up a vacuum that the fuel pump won't be able to overcome, usually after driving a while and under acceleration or more demand on the fuel pump. The more gas in the tank, the faster the vacuum will build up. Worth a look. But since you just worked on the distributor, sounds like a crack in the distributor cap. Double check the things you "fixed" first, as that's your most likely point of failure. ha. You can put a load on the engine in the driveway by putting it in gear, standing on the brakes or using the parking brake, and giving it some throttle pedal. If it's going to miss, it will usually do it like that. If it's a standard shift, guess you'll have to get out on the road to test. Ha. One more thing that happened 30 years ago was that the centrifugal advance weights got rusted and would barely move. Truck would barely run and accelerate. This is fairly unlikely to most as I was in the habit of washing my engine down every time I washed the truck. Rusted right up. Ha
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote