View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #179
NorCalAnthony

Re: Let's Build A 1 Ton Crew Cab 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyBuzzard View Post
Holy moly!! I was looking at those same Probe pistons (P2600F-003) but on summit they are $502!! For $362 I would only be spending like an extra $80-90!! However, looks like you are saying I would need to buy rods too. I have to get all this figured out probably by tomorrow or Monday. I need the block back probably end of next week. So would I need different rods or crazy expensive piston rings???? This is something I need to know. Also these pistons have the -3.0cc valve reliefs what will I need to do about compression ratio?

As far as 500ish HP goes, I may be getting close.. I have LS6 intake, LS6 heads (243 w/ yellow springs.) Full bolt ons, I will be using a cam from Martin Smallwood 226/230 .560/.545 112+2, higher performance melling oil pump, ls7 timing chain.. Then t56 w/ LS7 clutch and 3.73s. However, I am building it just to be a driver not to take to the track. I will probably never even get close to revving out at 6k.. I just want a fun car to drive, maybe shut someone down if they talk smack. It will never see nitrous, blower or turbo.
Yeah WS6 Store is a sponsor on another forum I'm always on (ls1tech) and they usually have really good pricing on stuff. They list those pistons as being available in .927" (floating) and .944" (pressed) wrist pins sizes so you could re-use your stock press fit rods or pick up a set of the stronger LS2/Gen IV floating rods or get a set of aftermarket ones. It just depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend...

The only reason I brought up the rods is because I was seeing a lot of stuff online about how the older rods like your '01 and my '00 were pretty weak and when I talked to the machine shops by me they said the same thing and also brought up the additional cost to get the aftermarket rod bolts to work (rehone/recondition). Double check with your machine shop to see what they say I just didn't want that to be another surprise for you lol.

As far as the piston rings for the Probes it looks like you'd need Clevite/Perfect Circle 315-0037-5 for the 3.902" bore https://www.starperf.com/moly/clevit...m-race-ls1-v8/

ps Summit will usually price match other vendors in case you'd rather buy from them but still get the cheaper price...
NorCalAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote