View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
badherb

Re: long and hopefully good thread

I wanted to inform the layman on this. Although I am no expert I do know the troubles I have had and I know the troubles any beginner will have. set up on the welder is really important. I suggest practice!!!! take same gauge sheet metal you are working on and put it on a bench and make a million tacks. adjusting your welder during the beginning so you can have a proper weld. VERY IMPORTANT!!. also burn out a few welds while practicing on purpose. the practice fixing them. when you get to the actual project you will be better equipped to not freak out and you product will be much better. You can ask me about my mistakes and I will aid you through how I worked it out. I have too many mistakes to list here so you will have to ask.
Oh yeah try to have one or more side projects sitting and waiting for your attention. this will allow you to step back from the main project and let it cool or let you think about what your next step is. right now I have the steering wheel ready for sanding after filling in all the cracks. I can now work around my welding step back and sand for a while then hit the welding again allowing my back and the metal to not be too stressed.