View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #297
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Updates!!! Not much though, I have been busy doing all the little stuff that should only take about 5 minutes but turns into hours. I had a chance to button up all the engine stuff. Mainly a big hurdle........the throttle linkage.
Because the carb is all the way on the other side of the world on an inline 6 the gas pedal and the carb mechanism does not line up at all. So much so that I wouldof had to put a double 90 degree bend in the cable. I have seen it done but I prefer a throttle rod instead.

Here's where the throttle hole needed to be with the holley mechanism. Right on the firewall rib. The other problem is if I left it there it would have come through into the cab directly behing the steering column.
[/URL]
You can see that if I brought the hole through in this location I would have bee nearly 6 inches away from the throttle pedal that will eventually mount on the dog house portion of the firewall. To me that seemed to radical of a bend for a cable.
[/URL]
Then I noticed another problem.....The throttle linkage and return spring plate I bought from Jegs would not lay flat because of the way the bowtie overdrive throttle valve bracket sits. I tried putting spacers under the plate to raise it but that messed up the angle and geometry with the linkage.
[/URL]

Sooooo....with all 3 of these issues bugging the hell out of me I set fourth on another episode of NOT WANTING THIS TO GET TO INVOLVED!!! The fix was a new homemeade throttle plate that would off set the linkage more towards the center of the truck thus aligning the linkage with the throttle pedal. To do this I took a piece of 1/4" alumimium plate. Mated it to the carb, put 2 heim joints and a splined rod with levers on it. Turned out pretty damn slick and has zero bind.
You can see in this pic the lever that the pedal will connect to is now lined up right with the side of the recess on the firewall.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
I was then able to re-use the original return spring a throttle bracket I bought by cutting off the back throttle portion and just using the front return spring area. I just needed to put a spacer under the front to level it out with the back side as it sits on top of the new throttle bracket. If that makes anu sense.
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote