View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Let's talk about the trends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
Good observations, all.

I, for one, have become more aware of the complexity of the electronics in today's cars (through owning my Cruze) and as someone that, if I buy a new car, intends to have it for a substantial time frame, I consider it a liability to have all those components that aren't engineered for the longevity I intend to see out of the hard parts (drivetrain, body, etc.), that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace (not like a set of points - spare set stays in the glove box, cost: $15?), on top of the substantial sticker price I'd be chipping away at every month. Mostly out of curiosity, I checked up on the price of a new Chevy Colorado the other day; daydreaming that it might not be a bad move to trade in the Cruze on one in the next year or two, gain a 4x4 with a trailer hitch and an automatic trans. for the general ease of everyone but myself, and have something with a real chassis and longitudinal drivetrain. I found that a base model gets you a 2WD 4 cyl./manual, choice of white, black, or silver exterior color, and next to no available options list. The truck I had pictured in my driveway (at least a mid-level trim, 4-seater, 4x4, I-4 or V-6 auto in red or blue) is generously over $30,000, and considering that amount can pay off my Cruze and put both my Chevy trucks in fine condition, I'll happily pass. The only compact or mid-size SUV's from the big three that appeal to me are the Jeep Renegade and Wrangler; the Renegade is just too tame for me to drop another 10 grand and lose 10 MPG on vs. the Cruze for a "Jeep" that goes tipsy on 3-wheels over a decent curb, and the Wrangler's price + gas mileage make it financially impractical for the foreseeable future. The only other offering very high on my list is a Forester (wifey loves them and I approve), and that's another six grand over the Renegade but the same fuel economy out of a brand that has a particularly good reputation.

In short, if I went in for any of the above vehicles with our lower-middle class income (though we still hold down $600/mo. rent, car payment, insurance on 3 vehicles, and a little to spend on an average month) I'd have to de-tag and store everything except my '96 LeSabre just to have a second car. The consider that in 5 years any one of those rigs will be out of warranty with all those electronics just waiting to go bad and hit my checkbook, and I'm just as happy with my decision to keep a few old pieces around as when I started. I wonder if more people are acting on the same logic when they buy or put money into an older SUV, or if it's just me on that front.

True, also, that the classic passenger car market and the economy is hurting what people have to spend on "toys", hence the need to roll the family tow vehicle/SUV and hubby's classic hot rod into one vehicle. That seems to also be a mentionable contributor to the LS trend in our trucks.

Most of the replies here point to the hot rod/weekend cruiser/extra toy crowd or those that are already predisposed to keep chugging in their carbureted classics. But I also see a slight, but discernible trend in "millennials" catching on to older rigs that better facilitate functionality with frugality, going out of their way to use them for travel or utility in place of a newer alternative. Any input here?
That last sentence is exactly why the people that bought my '69 Suburban went the direction they did. It would haul the family, looked good, cheap to have worked on and they could actually drive it anywhere they could drive the vehicle it was replacing....... Electrical problems were driving them to the poor house with their previous car.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote