Thread: New project
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #414
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: New project

Been working on this thing and it started leaking water again from the small head bolts . I pulled both headers and valve covers to do a retorque on the heads . All the bolts were tight at 70#s except the lower small bolts and every one of them to 1/4 turn to get to 70#s . These are new ARP bolts . Initial torque was to 75 and no threads pulled as they all reset to 70# without stripping . I don't know if they stretched or what , but it stopped leaking water ......for now . I have an oil issue in the front , but it is more of a film then a leak . and I have a trans drip now and then so ill check that out this week . I also went up 1 jet size in all 4 corners.

If your up to date on this you know I have had issues with red lighting with the new combo . I have been leaving at 4200 with 45# in the 25" fronts and 14 in the rears . Well I made some changes for this weekend . dropped the 2 step to 3500 and set the fronts at 40 # . I run IHRA at Ben Bruce memorial racepark in Evadale , Texas and yesterday was the season opener . So first time trial im .020 red .

I cooled it down and moved the 2 step to 3000 and the fronts to 34#
and was .031 green ....which was actually a relief to me .

Cooled it down again and topped off the air and headed to first round thinking .031 was better than red . I added 2# to the fronts @36# and left the 2 step alone . Ended up with the 1st round W with a .022 light and scrubbing 5 mph at the end .

Brought it back and cooled it down again and set up like round 1 and the dam .022 got me the bye . Since I had made a pass in the right and I ended up with a single I chose the left . .000 and 7 slow . The left lane was bad .

Again I cooled it down and set up the same . After 3rd round they swap to a ladder and the best reaction time has lane choice . I chose the right lane better of the 2 and a faster car . set up a bit soft from the.000 .
and was .074

They stacked the ladder again and amazingly I got lane choice again . Chose the right lane again Way late , but dead on 9 and she spun and I found the hole .

Headed into the finals and I definitely do not have lane choice . I dial up 5 on what my split time tells me and start heating the bottle . Everyone has spun in the left lane , but most are on some sort of radial . I slow down extension on the rear 1 click and head up to the line . Sure enough I got the left lane . I told my opponent " you keep your Hoosier radial , ill keep my bias ply , 300 shot and the lane you don't want " . did a big burn out and BAM! .....it hooked . I tree'd him by .011 and took.008 strip on a double breakout for the win .

1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote