Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #3571
Titomars

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
money! or lack there of, and thrill of the hunt, ha ha, I have $42 bucks I don't got $250 or whatever a brand new one will cost me - and to prove a point on how easy the 833 trans swap may be (or may not be, we will see)

honestly the point of this old truck ownership is doing things yourself and doing them on the cheap, if I had money to throw around I would be driving fill in the blank __________ truck!!!

and where do you stop, hey we just bought a brand new drive line, ok, why not buy a brand new transmission, why drive 350 miles to buy an old one, ok we got a brand new drive line and a brand new transmission, why not buy a brand new crate motor, ok, we got a brand new DRIVE TRAIN, awesome, heck lets get a brand new diff, ok got all that new, we can't mount that to a used frame, lets get one of them brand new aluminum frames, ok got one, see what I mean, that's not what this build is about...
Ohh I get it Gregski it's all about budget or lack there of. But for me, my time is worth something and my driveline is one those areas I never skimp on. I have seen too many come apart. One almost poll vaulting the car on a 2 lane highway (friends car). Balancing new vs. used parts is a fine line of practical and an owner priority thing. I could take your thinking the other direction too. The truck needs a u-joint or two let go to the Pick N pull and tear a couple out of some vehicle, wait it needs front brake pads there is a truck in the wrecking yard the has a set. it needs a rag joint i saw one in a burnt out shell lets use that. And no I am not trying to be an ass just stating my case of that fine line.
You want to know a secret............... If I had a million dollars my 77 would still be my toy and my baby. No newer truck could ever fill her shoes and she deserves every dime I throw at her.