View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #41
'63GENIII

Re: L29 454 Build for '63 K15 with NV4500

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
Hi Chris, Sorry I'm just getting back to you.

The Straub Cam: I got exactly what I asked for.

I think it is absolutely awesome that someone understands their realm so well that they are able to make adjustments in their engine component to compensate for down falls and discrepancies in other components. In that I mean Chris Straub cut a cam for my Edlebrock RPM-O heads that, from my understanding through my engine builder, were not the best pick. So CSI gathered data from me and cut a custom billet roller for me based on my engine components and build, vehicle build, and intended usage. I use my truck daily and as a work truck/weekend warrior towing usually a 6,000lb bumper pull 23'ft camper, behind that a 6x10 trailer with Polaris rzr 1000 weighing about 2,000lbs, and the lil lady's dirt bike, tools and gear equaling about 6-700lbs in the bed. So total I usually have a 9,000-10,000lb pay load plus the truck ways 6,000lbs without my fat butt in it. The Miss is a skinny feather (in case she's reading). I wanted all my torque at 3,500rpm which seems to be exactly where the sweet spot is in this motor with 1.75"primary long tube headers and Eddie 650AVS. It pulls stupid hard and the NV4500 gearing with 4.11's and 33's seem to be a great combo all together.

The only thing I am going to change is the intake and carb. I am going to switch to a SMI stage 2 800cfm quadrajet and Edelbrock 7164 which is the RPM spreadbore intake. I played with both a 650AVS and the 800AVS on this motor and it showed traits that it like both, the 650 down low and off idle, and the 800 up high. But neither carb could give me the best of both worlds. So that points to a spreadbore.

Furthermore about CSI, I found plenty of threads on multiple forums reaching back to about 2010 that consistently stated that CSI's desk top dyno estimates given for each person's cam order with their motor build was conservatively within 4% of proven dyno results. If so that is pretty impressive! Straub said with my build and this cam I should see 612 ft/lbs torque at 3,500rpm and 450hp. No i did not have mine actually dyno'ed.

Uhhh, so I take it you're happy with it? All kidding aside Steve, thanks for the info! I have yet to hear that someone is unhappy with CSI. In fact, most things Ive read so far are very similar to your experience.
Im pretty stoked to get this kit in my hands. My machinist Gary didn't even bother to recommend a cam after I told him that I had talked to Chris. Probably going to pull the trigger on the next pay day. Its a lot of loot but I know this is the best way to go. At the end of the day, Id be pretty close to the same price with an off the shelf grind and Id still be running a "generic" cam, wondering what Im missing. For a couple extra bucks, Ill sleep better knowing that if Im leaving something on the table with this cam, it won't be much if anything.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote