Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #3757
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

now running the bypass hose was harder than I made it sound, first of all the hoses are of two different sizes, the smaller one is 1/2 inch I think the larger is 3/4, which means the nipple fittings are different, the one in the intake manifold is smaller than the one in the water pump which is bigger

so I had to go to the parts house and get another 3/4 aka bigger fitting figure I better run a larger hose than a smaller one

but the two fitting sizes were only my first problem

Where do I put the water temp sensor if I have to dedicate its current hole/port to the bypass hose fitting?

Well aint there another port on the other side of the intake manifold? Why yes there is, it is directly under the upper radiator hose and the sensor won't fit

So I considered getting another "Poser" chrome water outlet, one that points straight forward rather than to the driver side, but that would mean getting an upper radiator hose pre bent the same way, etc

So I found that the 1972 water outlet has a port right in it for the water sensor, but they were out of stock, ok how about the 1981 water outlet ($7 bucks) it has not one but two ports right in it, AWESOME, we can screw in our water sending unit right into the thermostat housing, how interesting, problem solved

Note: Eventually if I get super geeky I will run both the old and the new sending units off of this water outlet and into two separate gauges and stare and compare their readings, should be fun.
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote