View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
Dad's72

Re: $2000 budget to start

Okay, so here is what I got so far for parts list. Let me know if I forgot anything.

For Spark- distributor, leads, plugs (should I just buy a new rotor and cap or the whole thing?)

Fuel- fuel pump, fuel filter, new fuel lines, and rebuild the carb

Cooling- radiator fluid, thermostat, new radiator hoses (if they are dry and cracked), oil, and oil filter

1. Drain the old oil and install new filter
2. Drain the old radiator fluid out of the block and radiator. Since I’m there and its cheap install the new thermostat and radiator hoses if they are cracked.
3. Install the new distributor, leads, and plugs.
4. Prime the oil pump with drill to lube things up inside the motor. (someone recommended squirting a little transmission fluid down the plug holes and turning it a couple times by hand so that I do not ruin the rings. And truth to this?)
5. Install new fuel pump, filter, rebuilt carburetor, fuel lines, and run from a clean gas can.
6. Install the battery from my daily driver.
7. Turn the key and hope for the best!

Did I miss anything? I’ll have to add this up to see what it will set me back. If the motor starts up and runs how long should I let it run for? If I have fluids in it and coolant in it shouldn’t it be fine to run for a while?
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote