View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #23
Dad's72

Re: $2000 budget to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
...just to help out a bit more.
You may not need to 'rebuild' the carb, but I always recommend thoroughly cleaning it and blowing it all out with compressed air.
I don't know how mechanical you are but carefully removing the top plate (airhorn) will allow you to peer into the top of the carb's bowls, etc and to do a little extra cleaning. If you are very careful you might be able to resuse the top gasket.
Regardless...this goes back to the budget minded approach which is to make headway doing some investigating before spending a bunch of unnecessary money.
I also fully agree with hitting any/all local swap meets to maybe get some good new or spare parts for the truck....including tires.
So help us out a little further here....how mechanical are you and how comfortable are you with a lot of the engine check, firing stuff?...this will help us help you in some of the possible choices available.
all good
Coley
I am pretty handy. I can do anything in a home and can replace parts with the best of em when it comes to cars. That being said. I usually take my vehicles places to get told what is wrong and then I do the work myself. I am pretty sure I can do all of this. Seems pretty strait forward. I did squirt a little transmission fluid down the plug holes as instructed and turned the motor by hand. It turned easily. Good sign? Plugs were clean of oil. I will replace with new ones.
Dad's72 is offline   Reply With Quote