Thread: Greg's 50 Build
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #228
Advanced Design

Re: Greg's 50 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
So I posted these questions the other day in the LS section and haven't gotten any feedback. I was hoping you guys could help me. I may be over thinking this but better to ask than not.

So when I painted my engine I didn't mask off the place where the waterpump gasket or exhaust gasket goes. When I see pictures online it looks like a lot of people do. Do I need to strip the paint off? Its smooth so I would think it would seal but I won't want a leak later. I did mask off the intake ports on the heads.

Another thing is that while my engine has been sitting in the frame with no crank pulley I got flash rusting on the crank snout. I was planning on just cleaning that with emory cloth. Think that's the right way?
I would seal the passage ways with towels and take the paint off the sealing surfaces if it was mine. Fine Emory cloth n the crank snout will be good for cleaning the corrosion.

A good friend bought a 70 Demon in 1980 that had 50,000 miles on it. Really nice and rust free with a 340 and 727. He had Wayne County Speed shop put a wicked balance and blue print build on the engine. They were big in NHRA pro stock then. I built the trans, added clutch plates after machining for the modification, reverse pattern valve body. Car then went in the machine shed for about 30 years. His 17 year old son then drug it out and he got it going again. Still wicked cool and mostly sits in the machine shed. All the work we did together, I haven't ridden but a few miles in it.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote