Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #3833
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) Quit running water! Your truck needs either antifreeze or something like "water wetter" (http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10) if you want to keep using water.
Last night I drained the radiator and added properly mixed Antifreeze (50 water 50 coolant) FYI I did not use distilled water as I read that water is robbed of all its nutrients and I did not use drinking bottled water since the engine block is 40 years old and I did not hot tank it to clean it, as well as the radiator is all rusted up inside as well, had this been a brand new block and new rad I would have used drinking water, and the wife and kids would have had to drink tap water, ha ha

I feel like I need to explain my thinking process for using water. I was using water because it is much easier to clean off of the engine block if you have to remove the thermostat water outlet half a dozen times, as well as the garage floor. Also it is my understanding that Antifreeze lowers the freezing point of water as well as raises the boiling point, so I do not expect much change in my condition by running the green stuff, but we shall see. And finally I know many car racers that say they have to run straight water at the race truck so they don't spill antifreeze on the track, I know that is a fact, so if it is good enough to cool their engines which they push way harder (upwards of 100 MPH) than I am pushing Rusty (45 MPH, lol) water should cool my truck just dandily provided everything is in order (gaskets, bypass hoses, fan, radiator, etc.)

again Not arguing, just sayin'
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote