View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
Overdriven

Re: Transmission swap

It's funny, I'm in the same boat with I6/3 on tree and also on the island! I want to do some suspension and brake work first so my research is more preliminary. From what I've researched the thing to watch out for is the shifter location especially if you have a bench seat. The McLeod trans has the shifter at the rear and that'll come up right around the front of a bench seat. Plus there's a not so good review on a MCLeod 5spd on Summit. So the shifter will have to be at a 90 degree angle just above the floor with other bends to go around the seat. A T5 out of a Fbody is the same deal. S10 T5's have the shifter further forward but aren't as strong and the later model S10 (99? and up) are stronger World Class but have a Ford bolt pattern. There's also a couple different ratios for S10 T5's so lots to research before buying. You could Frankenstein a s10 case with Fbody internals yourself or have one built (probably the best option for a T5) but unless you do some upgrades they're still not as strong as the Tremec.

With the Tremec TKO 500 or 600 you get a much stronger trans and 2 shifter locations to choose from. Stock at the rear or further forward called the mid shift which should put the shifter forward of a bench seat. FYI, T56's also have 2 shifter locations as well. Mid shift requires a special shifter since the bolt pattern is different but from what I can tell that's it. American Powertrain is the only place I've seen a mid shifter but I haven't looked for one elsewhere either. Liberty transmissions has about the cheapest prices on TKO's I've seen so far and I'd be surprised if they didn't offer a mid shift option.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote