Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #3849
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Without knowing what those ticks reference in regards to numbers who knows what you are reading.
Gentlemen sometimes you just gotta MacGyver the snot out of something (honk if you be old enuff to know who MacGyver useta be) ha ha

so we used our digital thermometer as a baseline control, we decided to boil some hot water and we stuck the 1974 water temp sending unit in the pot as well, we were making Vortec Soup, both were suspended in the water and not touching the bottom hot plate, the sending unit was connected to the gauge with its green wire and its housing grounded to the battery negative terminal to ensure proper and reliable ground (ignore the color red wire, an aligator clip is an aligator clip)

brilliant if you ask me

so with the truck off but the key in the on position (not start, just on) as the water begun boiling the digital control gauge started climbing, our truck gauge didn't for a while, it was a bit slower to react (a bit discouraging at first, but then...) then it started to move

I recorded the first notch as 190(ish)* F

I recorded the middle notch as 210(ish)* F

since water boils at around 212 that was as hot as we could get and the wife caught me using her pot so I couldn't add no Antifreeze to it, ha ha

but we might have some reference digits now
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote