View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 01:45 AM   #594
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

It was nice as heck today, so I had to hit the garage!

I picked up some carbon fiber panel courtesy of the guys at Protoype Composites in Glendale WI. Its around 1.5mm sheet, finished on one side like most CF is sold.

I decided I wanted to build some exhaust-exit shields for my side exit, and the CF seemed perfect for doing it. I started off by measuring my exit and the margins I had to work with. A little photoshopping mocked up a shape I liked, and I could print it out as a template.

I reinforced the template and transferred its shape to the carbon plate. A dremel did most of the cutting work, but used up a few discs if you tried to cut too aggressively. Overall it cut pretty well, and I could then layout the screw holes and drill those out. (one partially finished on the upper right)

I used a powerdrill as a drum sander (I'll post more on this), and finished any uneven areas on the internal hole or the radius'd corners. Then I switched to some 600-ish grit wet paper and smoothed/rolled any sharp edges for a finished look. Only problem I really had physically was the screw holes blowing out a bit. I have a few ideas to solve that, but I'll just carefully spot sand them...most of the area is hidden under the hardware anyway.

I've already got the hardware so I just need to touch these up, drill the truck-side to match, and finish assembly. Should have that up in a day or so when I get back over to it...and of course FULL VIDEO ON THE PROJECT WILL BE COMING SOON! You should be subscribed and checking Rev J HD for all this content!

Oh, and clearly respirators aren't for bearded customizers.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote