View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #16
Davidf

Re: Bench seat foam "help"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I've been building interiors for a very long time ,replacement foams are not only expensive but junk in my opinion and I've rebuilt thousands of seats over the years , Believe me when I tell you your butt will not tell the difference between an original good condition foam and one that has been correctly repaired . Foam is cheap to buy a piece large enough to repair just about any damage and many guys fix their own and install their own replacement covers with great results .we used to charge a $100.00 to install a customer supplied seat cover including basic foam repair and those jobs always went to the low guy in the shop and took less than an hour . An electric carving knife for $10.00 cuts and shapes foam just as good as my $500.00 Bosch foam saw. And contact cement can be purchased at any home store and can be brushed on we used to install carpets ,jute padding and vinyl tops for many years brushing the glue on . I suggest you fix it yourself as a weekend project and you'll find many uses for the left over contact cement .
I need to do the same and plan on doing as GOM suggests. Suggestions on foam density that most closely matches original foam would be helpful from anyone in the know..
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote