View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #25
Chknlyps2

Re: My 63 Chevy C10 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons63 View Post
Ok finally an answer on it. I've been wondering about this without taking much time to investigate. It does have the fill plug just below the shift tower one the RH side, and the drain plug same side below that. So on I have a few questions... First off what is the fluid capacity and weight? It shifts very well and surprisingly smooth for an old truck! But boy is that first gear useless for me. Second off, I'm wondering if fourth is 1:1? I haven't had it over 40 yet so not sure what the rpm will be around 55. Also haven't yet got into the rear diff to see what gearing it has. It's factory for sure though.. Last question, what would be a good reliable more "street roddish" type manual transmission for this truck that's affordable, will bolt up to my factory crossmember any maybe bell housing, and hopefully use the same shift lever hole in the hump? Also wouldn't mind if I didn't have to shorten my driveshaft and could still retain the manual clutch. Thanks for the help captain fab, I enjoy reading your posts on this forum. Another thing maybe you could shed some light on, I'd love to convert this to posi.. How hard is it to locate the parts and what all do I need to find to make the change? I'm sure there are write ups on here.. Maybe someone close has the parts laying around. Pull and save on the north side gets these trucks in quite a bit, and the manager in the valley showed me a beautiful '66 that was redone then smashed in the nose before it went into the yard... Didn't have my tool bag with me that day or I would have been able to snag some goodies before the scavengers ��
As Captainfab stated, you probably have an SM420 trans. Only other 4 speed truck trans that looks like the one in your muffler pic is a SM465 that came in 68 and up trucks. 465's also need a later model bell housing with a larger opening that the trans mounts up to. Both the 420 and 465 have a 1:1 4th gear and pretty close gear ratios otherwise. The 465 is bigger and has these huge cast in ribs that form a cross (+) on the sides that stick out a couple inches. On the 420 reverse is driverside and to the seat and the 465 reverse is passenger side and to the seat. I would put 80/90 gear oil in both but not sure on the quantity. Here are a couple links on them

SM420 http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/sm420

SM465 http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/sm465

You would have to go to a car 4 speed to get a "street rodish" type of trans, that would require a drive shaft change and shifter type and location would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons63 View Post
Anybody have fan shroud ideas? Has the 292 radiator. Is there a plastic one off another year I can modify without looking goofy?
Here is a pic of the shroud on my 64 with a 283. it bolts to the two flat plates that connect to the core support on each side of the radiator, should bolt right up to yours. 62 had a steel shroud. I have one from one of my old 62's that I put a 396 in back in 85, I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow and a measurement to see if it is the same as the 64 fiberglass one.
Attached Images

Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote