View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #143
First c10

Re: Project "Hulk Jr"

The saga continues with this damn truck....starting to get pissed off!!!!

Every time I turn around something funky goes wrong.

The truck was running GREAT every thing checked and double checked, so I thought I would see if I could put the truck in gear. When I did I heard a little bit of noise like a whine, but it went in forward and reverse gears fine.
I checked the fluids and it was about 1/2 qt low so I topped it off. Tried it again and still a whine. So I called the trans shop and talked to the guy that rebuilt it and he told me to check the TC to Flex plate gap that sometimes mix matching old and new motors, transmissions and TC you have to shim. Well I noticed a little gap when I originally matted the trans to the engine but research it and a little bit of gap is ok. So I just bolted it up. Now I thought well I would just disconnect the TC from the flex plate and when I did I noticed that the TC was hard to spin for about 1/4 turn and then the TC moved towards the transmission and spun freely like it should. Now there is about .2" of gap. so I got 1/4" longer bolts and .2" spacer and installed them.... I felt like that was a positive move and that it would be the reason for the whine...

Now time to start the motor to see if the noise was there when I put in gear.
Hit the starter and the motor fires up and making a loud taping sound in the back of the motor... I was like what the hell??? so I checked for oil pressure (it was good) and shut the truck off... Thinking it was something hitting around the TC area. I looked and couldn't see anything or could think of anything I could have done to cause that noise. I unbolted the flex plate from the TC and started it up.... Noise still there... The day before it ran great. So in my mind I am thinking the worst....now I am thinking rocker stud pulled or something major in the valve train, but the sound is in the back of the motor not on 1 side or the other. I have a mechanic friend I work with coming to look at it this weekend.
I will keep you guys updated...

If you guys have any ideas please let me know?
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote