View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
duke46

Trouble shooting motor just died

I thought I would ask you guys for a little help even though I am working on my 72 Corvette stock 350 with direct tach drive. And only 120,000 miles on her.

Was having a small aggregating miss and saw it today fire jumping the insulator on one plug.

But here is what happened. We got in the car after I took it for a test drive. We made it out of our drive and coasted into the next one and it would not start back up. Riding mower and chain and a friend then down to my shop. Thought the fuel pump had quite, It is the org one. Disconnected the gas line and it filled a bottle up ASAP. Connected the line back and it fired right up. The little brass filter also looked fine. So just drove it to my garage a parked it.

Today I wanted to see if I could find a reason for the cause. It has been in my garage for 5 months but fired up like is always has. That is when I saw the arc on the one plug.

The tach drive dist is an oem one but I used the electronic ign kit to replace the points. Best thing I have ever done because it could set for a year before starting and you know what has to be done to points 99% of the time before you can fire up.

All the wires to the coil look fine and from it to the dist look good and all is tight.

So what just made it shut down and not restart till a couple of days latter?

Sure hard to fix something that is not broke GRRRRRRRR It is like something shorted out and killed the fire. These motors come with the chrome wire covers along with the chrome dist cover and that cover is off right now. Was the cause in that area maybe? I know they do not come on trucks but thought I would just ask for maybe a little trouble shooting help on here and see what some of you might advise.
Thanks
duke46 is offline   Reply With Quote