View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #1207
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Nice little trip, photos and narrative.
I take it neither you or Lance made it up to the expo this year.
I thought you did KDP metal tab and bolt retainer, I am sure you looked at it prior to your engine installation, pretty sure you included a picture of the pin in the build thread.

Soon your going to have to start teaching your son to drive the Suburban and all the finer points of off roading.
The boy has driven a fair bit on my lap over the years. he is getting tall enough to actually try it for himself soon. I made it to Overland Expo this year. I had not done anything with the KDP for two reasons. One was that in my early reading, information stated it was a problem on '94-'05 engines. Mine isn't one of those. The other (and the one that unfortunately held the most weight )was a guy at the local Cummins dealer who came highly recommended had given me a wrong timing cover gasket years ago and he claimed that all of those motors used that gasket. He ran my engine serial number and said that the engine had an upfit done on it and the gear case had been changed. That meant that it had the updated gear housing with the shouldered hole and the KDP could not fall out. Done and done. Well, that whole story was bull****. The gear case is stock and the story he fed me was to cover his ass for giving me a gasket for a P pump instead of a VE pump motor. Unfortunately at that time (13+ years ago), I didn't know about the KDP and just changed the gasket and crank seal without addressing the KDP. Never went back into it because I thought it had the shouldered hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Nice pictures as always! That cactus is awesome haha
Thanks!! Yeah, made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune_1 View Post
Enjoyed the story about the use of your Suburban and the interesting things and history that you find. Keep it up.

Dwight
Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed it!!