View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Nads

Re: My W.I.P. - 68 GMC

I've been spending a bit of under the truck lately and had some help from friends. Now the back end is suspension lowering is complete...mostly. I got 4 inch lowering leafs and 1.5 inch drop shackles from Early Classic and lovin' the new look.

I learned a couple key lessons:
1. There is a front and a back of leaf springs - know which is which before installing. (measure from the middle to the front, and middle to the back of the old springs, and orient the new ones so the measurements are the same, doh!)
2. Don't bolt up to the axel before you have the the front and rear of the spring in place and bolts at least finger tight.
3. With that 1.5 inch drop shackle in place the springs will probably rub on the bed support...might want to notch it out before you get everything bolted in place.
4. Big friends with long breaker bars can indeed break free u-bolt nuts that have been in place for darn near half a century. They can also exert more torque than that cheap breaker bar off amazon can withstand ;-) and that is amazing as long as no one gets hurt.
5. A bird will always mess on your truck right before you take a progress photo.
Attached Images

"Build" thread
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote