Thread: Plus Five
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #25
donandal

Re: Plus Five

OK,
I'm on a layover with some free time...
I don't think American Autowire is open at this hour so I'll ask here.
My wiring instructions have a couple of heavy red wires going to the large Positive stud on the starter solenoid.
[It also has the purple wire for the solenoid from the key going to the solenoid (S) spot on the starter solenoid.] There is also a separate heavy red positive feed from the battery positive terminal to the engine compartment fuse panel as part of the GM wiring package.

With the American Auto wire harness, one of the red wires has a brown fuse-link and connects to "under-dash starter connection plug" at the fuse panel.

The other red wire has a blue fuse-link and runs from the solenoid positive to the alternator output stud.

The fuse links ends connect at the solenoid end according to the instructions. That makes sense to protect the wires.

My question is this. Are the two red connections at the solenoid end connected there, rather than the positive battery post, simply for convenience?

Would there be any harm connecting these two to the battery post instead? My engine has very limited space near the starter.

The starter would then just have the direct connection from the large stud to the battery positive post and a connection for the key at the solenoid (S) small stud.

Thanks.