View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #90
jmlcolorado

Re: 68 C10/international L110 Mut

]I spent the day cleaning shop and once it was clean, it felt too weird, so had to make a mess to feel better about myself.
Decided to give mounting the ride height sensors a try.

I have to redo the rear c-notch because I moved the trailing arm crossmember forward an inch to center the rear wheels in the wheel wells. Of course, I notched the frame before I did this, so now the axle hits the front of the notch. Which keels the rear from dropping the last 1/2" or so.
I ordered a heavy duty notch kit since I liked that it adds much needed reinforcement. It's made of 3/8 plate and is supposed to match the contoures of the frame.
I'm waiting for that to arrive, so I'm not messing with the rear sensors.

In order to cycle the suspension through its full travel, I need 180 psi of air.
Shop compressor doesn't go that high, so the next best thing is the actuall tank and compressors on the truck.
So I rigged up the two compressors to the tank, installed a gauge and waited to see what happens.

Success!
http://youtu.be/sb9ugpoUpqY

It's quite slow in the rear when airing out. That will speed up once I add the weight of the body. The front is quick. Almost too quick. I might add some speed controls to the fronts if I can to slow it down a bit.
Raising is pretty on both front and rear.

Compressors pump to 200 psi. I think they'll go higher, but I'm too afraid to try.
I'm using DOT 3/8" air brake line. The connections are simply 1/2" NPT to 3/8" push connects. Now that I realize how much does sure this is, I don't trust the push connects very much. I know a lot of air guys run them, but I can't afford to loose a corner at speed. So I ordered 3/8" air brake compression fittings. Kinda pricey at $8 a piece, but it's worth peace of mind.

Front sensors installed.

It took a little finagling. These require no greater than 2.75" travel, so it took a little moving, marking, measuring, repeat to get then just right.

Once the rear sensors are mounted, I'll program all the heights for the system.
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote