View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
duke46

Post Re: Trouble shooting motor just died

Talk about being slow to fix something then I guess that would be me.

And old friend dropped in to see us on the 4th and I was showing him the cars and told him what happened to the Vette. He looked at the carb and ask me if it had the brass filter in it and I said yep. He then told me that over the years of running that type of carb with the brass filter that on more than one occasion his motor had just shut off. He then told me that just one drop of moisture would just stop gas from going through it.

I told that to another older vette guy and he said yep it sure would. And he had told guys in the past to always keep the tanks full and then you would not have to worry about condensation all that much. Also keeps you tank from rusting and is what I tell all the motorcycle guys.

When my car cut off and would not fire back up we took it to my shop and a few days latter after I had bought a new pump my friend and I started checking it out. I didn't try to start it up but now wish I had. What we did was remove the fuel line and check for gas flow and had plenty and then I took the brass filter out and blew it out good even though it was clean as a pin. One all was put back together the car fired right up and then I just put it back in my garage.

I am guessing that if I had an external paper filter or even the paper one that would replace the brass oem type that if water was the cause then they would have not caused this type of problem. I will put in some dryer in my tank or some 99/100 alc just in case this was the problem. My car stays in a wood garage and have never seen any moisture form in my 24x50 space as long as I keep the doors close. But try to keep at least 1/2 or more gas in it. Might only drive it a couple of times a year but it has never let me down and never had a problem like this even when it was keep in my shop that is a steel building and every thing in it when the weather is just right will sweat and even seen it so bad that you thought it was raining in there with so much water dripping off the metal roof. But never had any problems before and for sure under those conditions that should have happened before is water was the cause.

It is starting up just fine and did find one plug that was arching and some of the others were gummed up a little so now to test drive it and see how it does.

Have any of you heard about the water and the brass filter before?
duke46 is offline   Reply With Quote