View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #55
BrianG

Re: Best brand of windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
It was pretty much untinted at all. The guy at the glass shop demonstrated by holding a white cloth up behind it. The Summit one looked no different, maybe just a tad darker than clear. The Chinese one they had brought in was greenish like the side glass.

It was also missing the lamination in the corner for about 1.5". The seal itself covered the outside 1" of it, so you only saw a little corner once it was installed, but I'm glad I had it replaced anyway.

If I had it to do over again (and they offered to do it for free!) I'd make sure I had new stainless. I and a friend tried to install it 5-7 times and that took a bit of a toll. Plus one of my pieces is repro and you can tell it's not as tight a fit. So I will collect a set of OEM stainless, get it polished, and then redo it I think.
Now that you say it, I'm not sure that the tint is quite as dark as factory. I never did a really close side by side comparison though. I bought replacement vent windows and they too seem very light. Probably lighter than the windshield and back glass. For now, I don't have a good set of tinted door glass so I'm just running with some clear. When you look at them compared to the rest, you can definitely notice that the tinted is different than the clear. I wonder if all of OER's glass is even made by the same company. It's possible that even though we both bought from Summit, we could have got glass from two different manufacturer's and both sold under the OER name.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote