View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 12:20 AM   #32
stinsonj

Re: '51 Build w/4bt Cummins

Received a big shipment of parts today including new steering, suspension, brakes, and motor! Got started on what I thought would be the easiest install which was the suspension but man was I wrong. Should really only take about 20 min in my opinion to install a new set of leaf springs but we spent at least 2 hrs trying to get just one of the front leafs installed, and still failed. The rear eye on the leaf spring at first wouldn't fit into the rear hangar so I had to grind and chisel out metal so it would finally fit. But when I tried to install the bolt, I noticed that the eye was twisted or something, which wouldn't allow the bolt to pass thru. Not sure what to do other than put the spring in a vice and torque on it until its straight again?? Also, even without the spring in place, I couldn't get the new bolt to thread thru the inside of the hangar, so ill probably have to clean out the threads with a tap or somethin. Sooooo frustrating when you set out to do something simple, which was only supposed to take 20 min, and you end up failing after 2 hrs.
stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote