View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #79
70STOVEBOLT

Re: Why a 2 piece driveshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I had forgotten I was subbed to this thread, how strange I was notified of an update to this thread at the same time I'm facing a 2 piece driveshaft dilemma on my '72 custom/10 LWB with factory overload rear leaf suspension. I had removed the driveshaft a couple years ago to rebuild the 350 sbc, I had to remove the actual center bearing support bracket from the frame in order to remove the driveshaft. Now I can't remember which of the two 4-bolt bracket mounting locations (heightwise) is the correct one for my vehicle. I do have the factory assembly manual and it does not define which of the two is correct. It does differentiate between the two based on RPO#'s but only for 1968 vehicles, with no mention anywhere else in the entire book of any other production years.
Picture for reference and clarification on which holes I'm referring to.

Look on the other side of the crossmember. Can you see where the washers/nuts/bolts were on that side? I don't know how these mount up as I have never had one with a 2-pc shaft. I do know that my 70 came with a 250/3OTT from the factory, coil springs, one-piece driveshaft. I put a 402/TH400 in it and had a local driveline shop shorten and balance it, put new u-joints on it, and I have had it up to 100 mph - smooth as silk.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear