View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Dual volt meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I went out and tested my crazy theories, here are some numbers. This is with a bunch of load on (AC on medium so no relay, lights all on, etc).

At the lighter: 12.5V
At the battery: 12.85V
At the Aux battery: 12.95V
At the Alternator: 13.5V

Actually makes me think my wire from the alternator needs to be upsized. Almost a full volt of drop.

So, you can indeed find measurable differences, up to a full volt in my case, and that's when things are operating normally.

My thinking then is the closer the two needles are together (which is the same as saying the closer the ammeter is to the middle, really) the less is going on. When they are spread, you're seeing how far the ammeter would be from center, and the order of the needles shows you whether its charge or discharge.

So now that I think it through, I don't think it tells any more than a combination of a voltmeter and an ammeter would, really. Just in a different way. I think it'd be neat, but obviously combination volt and amp meters haven't taken the world by storm, so likely no demand...
I'm assuming this was done on a factory setup correct?
Mine isn't factory by no means. I have relays installed on everything that I think puts a heavy load on the system. Lights, AC, windows, and the motor harness has them along with fuel pump.
So my readings would be off from your no doubt.

On a stock harness I can see the drop on the voltage with all the stuff turned on.
The bigger wire would help I'm sure.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote