View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #80
Mike_The_Grad

Re: Why a 2 piece driveshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Look on the other side of the crossmember. Can you see where the washers/nuts/bolts were on that side? I don't know how these mount up as I have never had one with a 2-pc shaft. I do know that my 70 came with a 250/3OTT from the factory, coil springs, one-piece driveshaft. I put a 402/TH400 in it and had a local driveline shop shorten and balance it, put new u-joints on it, and I have had it up to 100 mph - smooth as silk.
I examined both locations pretty well,and was unable to get a distinct indication of where it was originally mounted,mostly because of all the old crud and oil built up on the frontside of the crossmember. But I went ahead and mounted it to the lower of the two mounting locations. I threw the u joint that is connected to the pinion of the differential back in December, which I believe was due to my failure to replace the spring clips over the end caps where the two straps secured the joint to the pinion. In addition to maybe not having the driveshaft in phase with the other components(180° out). So I replaced the joint and changed the driveshaft relation 180° installed the retaining clips,lol, and now I've got almost 10k miles on it,and had it up to about 115 m.p.h.!! My carrier bearing is shot though and I'm pretty sure the other u joints have seen better days. So as soon as I get the money,I'll be replacing all the u joints, the carrier bearing, and rebalancing the driveshaft at a local very reputable driveline shop. Coast Driveline out of Ventura, CA.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote