Thread: Wheel Ideas
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #21
NC_John

Re: Wheel Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCougarine View Post
I think anything bigger than 15s are not going to look "classic" If it were mine I'd stay with the 15s but find some older aluminum slots or cragars or something along those lines. The big wheels look good too though, it really depends on the overall look you want with the truck.
I ran 15" steelies and swore I always would until I coverted to discs and the calipers would not clear the old wheels.

I was hesitant to go 20"s but am really glad I did. I think the billboard size profile of the truck lends well to a larger diameter wheel and with the manufacturers putting bigger wheels on everything these days, small wheels can look dated instead of "classic." (The commonality of 20's now makes for a million choices in tires and really reasonable pricing too)

And of course, the truck has to be lowered in order to run the larger wheels or else it just looks like a hot wheels car which is no Bueno. I was also careful to maintain the same overall height on the new wheels/tires as I had with the old.

The real nice thing about the bigger wheels is (with the right tires) the handling improvement is ridiculous. Mine has woken up so much from skinny 15's that it's inspired me to go with a bunch of Hotchkis stuff underneath to really have some fun and get the full potential out of my new sticky rubber.

In closing your honor, the wonderful thing about wheels is how easy they are to change. If I decide I don't like the 20's anymore. I just bolt a set of steelies back on. (In fact, I kept my aged poverty caps for just such a thing).

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote