Thread: Whiplash
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #39
special-K
Special Order

Re: Whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bMr View Post
Is it not possible to incorporate a more period correct and OEM headrest into the metal structure of the seat frame? Surely something like the below could be modified and attached, then it and the seat could be upholstered accordingly?

http://www.justdashes.com/wp-content...31-photo-1.jpg
This is the best idea yet. The perfect solution. Headrests were mandated in cars beginning in '68, so would be period correct, just not factory correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
I dunno bMr, would be nice. Metal fab is one thing, upholstery is another. How comfortable would you be slicing into my perfect, fully restored benches?!!??!? Cuz I'm not comfy at all about the thought.
Just because you already did your seat doesn't make it a bad idea. If you are so concerned about this safety issue, why didn't you use a little foresight and do this first? There are plenty of custom metal fab shops and plenty of "full service" upholstery shops everywhere. The three generation upholstery shop I have used for 40-ish years does seat frame work...welding/fab. I feel a real upholstery shop could handle this task. Mine could. But, I'm not worried about it.

I control my risk by living in a rural setting where I don't hit back-ups on major hi-speed hiways and very seldom sit at traffic lights. I mostly use backroads. I hate interstates with heavy traffic. Even getting out to own or beyond to the interstate, I take my country road that becomes a town street that hits main street. There is one light between town at the state road (not hiway) the interstate replaced. Both roads are 30 mph roads and I have never heard, in 30 years, of such an accident there. If I run up to the state hiway that bypasses town (50mph) I have 5 or 6 lights and there are often serious accidents at those intersections. You can't eliminate all risks, but you can make the probability far less with the right decisions. I also constantly tap my brakes and watch my mirror as cars approach, ready to move out if necessary. This comes from riding motorcycles all my life. I had an old rider tell me when I was very young, "If you have an accident riding your bike it's your fault". Might not always be true, but ride like it is and you will be a safe rider. Drive defensively at ALL times. Never assume someone will stop just because they are supposed to. It has saved my life several times I am sure.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote