View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Re: Removing Plasti-Dip?

Thanks. I know nothing about plasti-dip other than dipping tool handles which I do to be permanent. Learning it's solvent base is a great help. Thanks! I was hoping the powder coat could survive the stripping process as long as it isn't the same base. I was thinking the 3M abrasive wheels might not hurt the powder coat, but it's the nooks that need it. I'm tight with one of the leading powder coat outfits which is down the road from me and figured I'd check with him next week, but the sooner this gets done the better. My son is getting tired of parking at the church and walking home since I won't allow it in the driveway
It's been years since we had the discussion, but back then he said he used either a poly or epoxy base and I recall the epoxy was for interior, because I remember thinking that was odd. But I believe epoxy isn't UV resistant and or not as flexible in temp change. I've used epoxy paint and it did fade rather quickly. Things may have completely changed with other types used today. That was maybe 25 years ago. How do I remember back that far? I had more brain cells and once embedded I guess it just sticks
The whole thing is kinda hard for me to take seriously, hence the tone. But I truly do appreciate the help here, buds. I figured someone has had the need to remove this gummy goop of a coating. I hope I haven't started a trend by showing that picture. I want no credit for being the trail blazer here. Please leave my name out of it. I will categorically deny any doing and claim this thread was started by a hacker using my name. Now excuse me while I go get my nails done. I think I hear Tim coming. Has anyone used plasti-dip on nails?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote