View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Jacking safely for flat tire change

Hi.

Could somebody who has 15 inch wheels such as stock wheels, and who has a 67-72 truck at stock height with springs all around, and who has interest in being prepared for an event where you can't call for roadside assistance and still want to change your tire, please tell me some information about jacking?

What is the lowest the jack will go, for the stock jack or a suitable replacement, and what is the highest the jack will go?

Can you describe where to place the jack for proper jacking for flat tire change? I don't think there is room for a jack that is very tall.

I don't feel I have the right jack and don't feel I can jack the truck properly and safely. I have a 4 ton hydraulic bottle jack that goes from 7.5 to 13 inches and has a 1 inch round screw-adjustable pad on top. I do not even feel safe putting jack stands under the truck with this setup. I have shopped online and researched for hours on jacks and still don't know jack.

I would prefer to get a jack that I can store in the truck, and I would prefer to have one that does not require my hand or arm to be under the truck at all during jacking (like these hydraulic bottle jacks).

I don't have a lockable storage area in the truck, so I would prefer to not get some fancy floor jack that will just get stolen in the first week I have it. I have looked at the huge selection of scissor jacks on Amazon and eBay and I am overwhelmed and under-impressed, and not sure of the ton rating I should get if I end up with that sort of jack. Perhaps some sort of small floor jack. How much should I spend on a jack? I just don't know what to do, and how to stay safe.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote