View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #21
dmjlambert

Re: Jacking safely for flat tire change

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
Here is an e-bay post that has the instructions with a diagram of a slightly different jack then what I showed in the first link, it is hooking to the edge of the front lower control arm. With this style jack, even with a flat tire, you will be able to hook onto the lower control arm, which you have pictured in your post, and which is identified here.

Use this as a learning experience as to what the "control arm" is. At one time, we all did not know this term, and what this item was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-1977-CH...Eun-fg&vxp=mtr
Are we talking about this part I have outlined in blue is the control arm, and I'm going to hook onto the lip of it where I marked in red, if I get one of those square-body jacks that has the hook?

I see the LMC catalog labels the part Lower A-arm, so I suppose there are 2 names for it. I am understanding the higher U-shaped part of the jack cradles the rear axle. My hydraulic bottle jack has no such U-shaped part, so that is what makes jacking so hazardous if I have to jack at the axle and have not fabricated some sort of device to go between the jack and axle. I would rather just get the right thing. 1974+ Chevy truck jack with the hook and long folding handle, I'll have a look around for that.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote