View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
Marshy

Re: Carburetor Question (To Jet or to Go Up In CFM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
How would a fuel pressure regulator help? I've never researched them, nor have I had one, so I am curious as to what it would do in my given situation.
If your pump is providing too much fuel psi then fuel can push past the float valve, raise the fuel level in the bowl and cause a rich condition. If you are unsure what psi your pump is providing you could go get some hardware and a cheap fuel psi gauge to check it before buying a new pump or regulator for a problem that might not exist.

Eddy manual:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...404_manual.pdf

From page 8:
Fuel Pumps and Pressure
Avoid extremes in fuel pressure. At IDLE, there should not be any more than 6.0 psi; if the vehicle has an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator, set it to 5.5 psi. With most fuel pumps the minimum fuel pressure is encountered at high rpm and WOT. Fuel pressure should not drop below 2.0 psi. If it does, a fuel pump with more capacity may be required. Note that some later model vehicles (the 5.0L Ford is one example) have mechanical pumps that will give more than 6.0 psi at idle. The vehicle will perform well, but may be prone to stalls on quick turns and stops with the clutch disengaged. If this problem occurs, check the fuel pressure. If it is more than 6.0 psi at IDLE, it should be reduced through the use of a regulator, such as Edelbrock #8190, or by creating a restricted by-pass bleed to the fuel return line. Edelbrock Street Fuel Pumps are highly recommended for all Edelbrock Performer Series carburetor installations.
Edelbrock: Performer Intake 2116, 1405 Carb
Long tube headers, 2.5" duals to Flow Master Super 40's
Vortec Engine Build
Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote