View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #77
ryanroo

Re: Parts truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedchevy View Post
Nice truck
Thanks! its ugly and old but i like it.

this old beast is still racking up miles. i'm not quite to 3 years and will probably hit the 36k mark next week.

i decided it was time to give it some love. it continues to get less and less zesty pulling hills and in general. like everything on this ol tank, its aging with grace. its still super reliable and cruises the road fine, but i want POWA. its useless for the most part for pulling my trailer and that aggravates me.

lucky for me i have things. things that are in the way but too good to get rid of. lucky for this old parts truck!

first thing is some more regular maintenance. back brakes have always been a little less than stellar. i assumed the right rear was asembled backwards as it worked, just need a quick double tap to grab well. turns out it was a seepy hub seal and sort of wet shoes. never really made any evidence on the outside and never ran low on 90w. anyhow, new shoes, hardware, drums, and slaves, as well as a bearing inspection and new seals.

then i replaced all the joints in the steering linkages and i also replaced the super clapped out column for a spare auto column i had laying in the garage and a later model wheel. the stabilizer also got replaced. so much nicer to drive this beast now.

i need to chase down a horn button, or more likely a better wheel. ill run this style in the green truck too, so ill need to chase down a couple.

i went around and around on what to do for the engine. i was going to toss a 383 together for it and keep on keeping on.

i did some soul searching and just couldn't stomach the idea of paying to keep a small block.

i have this thing, and it solves that issue. it is a gen v 4 bolt main 454 i have had for a while. the bores had some scratches from being turned over with crap on the rings, so away to the machine shop.

you may have noticed that the drivers rear spring was sporting a few busted leaves. that is lame. i happened to have this 4" spring kit under my workbench waiting on a rainy day. fixes the busted leaves and makes room for a bigger tire. ill be needing new tires in the reasonably near future and 35s would be no ish with more balls and more lift. win win. you may also notice the 4l80e sitting there. it was also stashed deep and far in the garage and will be included in the refit. the th350 is still going strong, so itll probably be later in the party, but i want to have some better cruise conditions for longer trips in this hog. and i like having an auto truck in the fleet that i can have anyone drive. and i have the trans, and rebuilding them is fun.

hopefully i will have some more updates soon!

Last edited by ryanroo; 08-28-2016 at 07:12 PM.
ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote