View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #1259
spacedebris

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70custom20 View Post
If you had to guess (maybe you already posted this in later pages) how much torque and horsepower do you think the Cummins is making?
Posted via Mobile Device

I cant speak for mosesburb as I dont know exactly what mods or adjustments he did to his but that is one of the nice things about these old 12V cummins. Many of the mods can bring gobs of power with just a few easy adjustments that you can practically get any numbers you want.

I'll speak to the one I'm sticking into my 60 panel. My 12v came out of a 95 Dodge 2500. Now mine is with an auto trans. Bone stock it is rated for ~160Hp 2500rpm and 400 lb-ft 1500rpm. Now this in itself would be plenty for these old burbs considering that my 60 came with a straight 6 and about 135Hp.

With just a slight adjustment to the fuel plate and my cummins can be making nearly double those numbers (300Hp and 800 lb-ft) without even having to upgrade any of the internals. And it can do this safely and keep it perfectly reliable for a daily driver. now if you want even more then some simple upgrades to the internals (upgraded injectors, springs, and such) would be advisable but still not very hard on the budget. But IMO 300 / 800 would be more than enough to do anything you want for a daily driver, any more would likely get you into trouble.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote