View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 01:06 AM   #50
Techie79

Re: My 1958 GMC 100 Stepside Budget Build

I've managed to get a few more hours in this weekend getting the engine and trans set in place to get the crossmembers sorted out and setting the cab back on the frame to check the fit and spacing. I am trying to see if I can use the existing drive shaft without having to shorten it but I'm still not sure it is going to work. The 700r4 that I am planning on using is about 3 inches longer than the 3 speed manual that was in it. I am wanting to go back with an HIE distributor so I was needing to move the engine forware a couple inches anyway, but now I am concerned with having enough space in front of the engine for a new radiator and electric fan combo. As it sits right now there is just over 3 inches between the points distributor and the firewall and about 7 inches between the water pump pulley and the radiator mounting surface on the core support. I am sure it will vary depending on which radiator and fan I buy but it looks like I will need about 6 inches so it will be pretty close. Any suggestions or comments are always appreciated.

Techie79 is offline   Reply With Quote