View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 AM   #1268
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Hahaha that's hilarious! More great pictures making me want to take weekend adventures out there.
[Mr Burns voice] Excellent....[/Mr Burns voice] This has been my evil plan the whole time. Use these truck to go places and see stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985-GMC View Post
Just curious if you ever use any kind of GPS app or something that logs everywhere you drive in that thing? I think it'd be cool to see a map with all the squiggly lines showing everywhere the burb has driven over the years.
We do, well, sort of. We always run a SPOT satellite messenger with the optional tracking feature that drops a bread crumb every ten minutes. This makes a "line" of dots, but at high speeds the dots are far apart and at trail speeds the dots can stack up. The track remains on their site for a few days then it disappears. This is very helpful for those not traveling with us to know where we are at any given time (within ten minutes). So if my boy and I head out somewhere by ourselves, my wife can see that we are still moving and her boy is ok.

We also run a netbook with two nav programs running. A Delorme map program that is similar to portable GPS units. Distance from here to there. Directions to nearest hospital, gas station etc. This also drops a point every so often so a route can be retraced if desired.

In addition to that, we run Ozi Explorer which is a really neat program that can run any map that can have at least three geo-referenced points on it. We run USGS 7.5" Quadrangle maps on ours. These also plot your location on the old maps and the dots create a line--a fairly precise line at that. There is some navigation ability on this map program, but it is much more labor intensive, but when the road you're on doesn't show up on "normal" GPS devices/programs, you can't be too choosey.

So there is a bunch of background info to not really answer your question. If you add all of this stuff together for any given trip, we do have a line, but to add everything together for an "everywhere we've been" is not really possible and would really be a jumbled mess that is very difficult to interpret if we could. I should learn how to extract our track files per trip. Those would be kind of neat to look at. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
Did you remember to tell him it was also a Paul Simon song, so he could say "Paul who?". Yup, we're getting old.
He knows Paul Simon as well as the song, but I'm not sure he actually knew what Kodachrome actually is/was. Ironically, my spell check doesn't know what Kodachrome is either lol.