View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
ninety6

Re: Grandpa's C10 Silverado Restoration Project

Finally got my hands back on the C10! I've spent all summer building an 800 sq foot deck and 320 sq ft pergola and haven't had time to work on the ole' girl.

Had a kid and wife free day yesterday, and it was raining, so the grass mowing had to wait. This gave me a chance to drain the old gas from the tank, remove the carb, and clean/rebuilt it. Did all that yesterday, and the truck ran when feeding gas into the carb, but, wouldn't pull gas through. It was late, so i worked on it again this afternoon.

Seems that the needle was stuck down (again, after my rebuild, including a new needle and seat), still not allowing fuel through. I blew a little air in through the fuel inlet and heard a little "pop" -- after which i put the fuel line in and she started right up!

Pulled her out of the pole barn and gave her a quick rinse to get the dust off, made me feel better anyway... ran up and down the driveway a few times to test acceleration and see how well it ran. I guess i did ok rebuilding the carb...

Note to self -- don't miss connecting the fuel line after rebuilding the carb. I double checked all the connections and somehow still missed the FUEL LINE -- so i had a huge puddle of gas under my truck after trying to start it. oops!

I thought i had an idle problem at first as it was idling REALLY high, but it turned out to be a the rod on the driver's side of the carb that goes back to that rubber diaphragm on the firewall. It was stuck back just enough to cause the engine to race. after unsticking it, it ran much more normal. Here's to hoping the next cold start goes smoothly!

Here's a comparison pic for everyone of the old and new gas. old gas is probably 4 years old. new gas, maybe a couple weeks old . and of course another picture after the dust-off.
Attached Images

Last edited by ninety6; 09-18-2016 at 04:56 PM.
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote