View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
bpmcgee

Re: Having a starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I think what TJ Chevy is saying is - When you "take a screwdriver or pry bar and touch the two points on the starter then I fired right up" you are bypassing the ignition switch start position. Cause the ignition switch is in the run position. Oh I just read ACC Position.
So you need to check if your getting power to the starter (in your case the green wire) when you turn the key to the start position. You'll need help.
Cause if your getting power to the ignition switch and not getting power to the starter . . .
Sounds like a ignition switch issue. Maybe the way it's wired?

"Also while it is running, I can turn the key like I would to start it and it'll grind the starter. " Heck my 2009 2500 LTZ Silverado does that.
When it's running and you turn the key to the start position you should get grinding. Don't do that.
Rock,

The interesting thing about his grinding is -- if his ignition switch is miswired, which is what we're presuming, he should NOT get grinding.

I'm guessing maybe a bad ground at the ignition switch, causing the current to be insufficient when the alternator's not running and boosting the voltage.

B
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote