View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #1422
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

September 19, 2016
Took the inner fenders, rear leaf spring mounts, the transmission cover and the Flaming River steering column (I bought new-in-box from Craigslist 1-2 yrs ago) to the shop this afternoon.

No progress on finishing rearend mods as "Robby" called in sick. Robby looks like the big badass Indian guy in the "Fargo" movie (but is really a very nice guy) so I'm not questioning him, lol. He's supposed to be back tomorrow.

Mike & I discussed the tranny cover - it'll be cheaper to use the factory four speed cover w/hump than modify the brand new flat 3 speed cover I never installed. I also have the original but it is hacked up. To his credit he said he'd end up overcharging me for labor to modify one - again, I'm pleased. I'll pick one up from The Car & Truck Shop later this week.

He doesn't seem overly concerned about the column possibly being a bit too long. He says he'll simply pull it a little longer into the engine compartment and change the "angle-of-the-dangle."

We discussed the engine mounts. Without pics it's hard to explain but he buys flat plates already cut to shape which mount on the LS, then fabs the pieces that mount to frame. Sometime uses a tubular strut with surrounding rubber and sometimes a flat, biscuit type mount. He's not sure which will be best; stay tuned.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-19-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote