Mrturner1

Re: Diagnosing a misfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Your answering all you own questions
black sooty plugs = fuel
Strong fumes from exhaust = fuel
fuel 1/2 way up site window = fuel

Everyone wants to see you win this battle but I'm beginning to believe we are all getting punked ?
You'll never tune any engine if you can't read plugs correctly . Pull any plug and wipe it on a clean white rag you'll see soot not oil
smell it ? Any hint of fuel ?

Now I'm not trying to give you a hard time but... your not going to build a high performance engine your first time out no matter how much $ you throw at it . And getting crazy over valve lash settings is overboard . If the directions say .0020 that's what you set them at period . You don't play with the numbers . Bigger and badder doesn't always work especially when dealing with carbs . Many guys suggested to forget the cracked block , but hey what do we know ? Many said you don't need the 750 dp ...well what do we know ? More than a few said those heads were ify at best but ... what do we know ? Timing takes less than 10 minutes to set but ... what do we know ? .....Well we know one thing none of this makes sense ... listen to some of these guys , they all want to see it work for you but have to use the information they give you and not reinvent the wheel .....
I don't get it, I didn't worry about the cracked block because you guys said it was fine, I thought I bought a 650 carb but was given the wrong one by the parts guys, and I can set timing in 3 minutes? Apperently I sound like I'm arguing because that's the reaction I'm getting, but I just thought the wet black stuff was oil and obviously I was wrong. I've been following advice and got a few tools to start checking compression and vacuum but I'm working out of town now so I can't go work on the truck. I don't get how I'm rubbin people the wrong way but I suppose it doesn't matter that much.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote