View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #594
SCOTI

Re: Project "Popeye"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Overall awesome but she's got her bugs like any ground up build and I'm working through them. We were very thorough on the major systems so I'm not dealing with cooling issues, vibrations, leaks or anything like that. More like squeaks, rattles, clearances, etc. There are lots of little projects to finish and a couple of big ones.

I can't stand the carburetor. I had a Demon 650 for the project, it had problems during start-up so we tossed an Edelbrock on there for the weekend. It ran fine but I rebuilt the Demon yesterday and dialed it in...and quickly reached the conclusion that YEP it's still a freaking carburetor! This 5.3L has so much more potential. Yes, we could dyno tune, look at AF ratios, jet the carb and squeeze maximum performance out of it but I'm out. I did set the timing curve and MAP advance tables in the MSD box with my laptop which is pretty cool, but why be half in the stone age and half modern? The plan was always for this to be fuel injected, just with old school looks. Admittedly when I started they did not have affordable systems like FiTech so my plan and budget were limited but the EFI Gods have smiled on us all in the last year. So this morning, for under $1,000 total I ordered this.
Good to see this one getting some miles. I've read mixed reports on the FITech set-up so looking forward to your opinion/experience.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote