View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #307
NastyBuzzard

Re: Let's Build A 1 Ton Crew Cab 4x4

Main issue with just using one of the generic spacers that are 1/4"-1/2" is that they are basically just a glorified washer/standoff. Which is fine if you have long enough wheel studs to accommodate. Which I don't. That is why I was looking for the spacer type that has the studs as well. Swapping out for longer wheel studs isn't difficult really, the hard part is finding the right wheel stud with the right knurl and all that jazz. As you can see in the picture, my studs are definitely too short as is.

My first attempt at modifying the "hub cap" didn't go as well as planned. I needed to drill it using a drill press instead of a hand drill. It walked on me and I tried to clean it up with dremel but hole ended up being about 5" in diameter vs just the 4.5" I planned for. I will try again with drill press and see then just buy a replacement for this one.

Got my gear box rebuilt though. Just needs paint.

So I am an idiot... I did something I hate, I got the wrong damn part. I purchased a drop pitman arm from DIY4x and no where it said that it was specifically for xover steering or to be used with 2wd gear box.. I didn't even think about it when I saw it that I needed the other style that has the bolt... UGH. Maybe someone will need one of these and I can recoup some cash..

I also cut out the fuel door stuff I need.

I set the bed on blocks so I could have more space with running fuel lines.

I may have to clearance the bed support a tad here b/c I can't get the tank all the way up.

I started messing with motor mounts some more. I didn't like how I had them.

Initial plan was to pull them off and cut where the white line was and weld back on some flat plate then drill back out.

However, then I started thinking.. For a true 4x4 conversion kit, most people wouldn't have these. So I slapped the original 2wd mounts back on and I am going to design a xmember to utilize them.

I just need to figure out which way they go on..

This way..

Or this way..

I also started messing with swapping mounting plates on the hydroboost. At first it was going well. I got the plates swapped over, no problem. A lot easier than I thought. Then I noticed the actual rod that presses in when you hit the brake was about 1.5" or so shorter on the 96 style hydroboost than the 79 style.

So I popped the rod out the 79 setup relatively easy, but when I went to knock out the rod on the 96 setup well... I ended up knocking it out with whatever it was attached to and pretty much ruined the unit.

So I disassembled them both to see if I could bastardize the two and they are just too different. So damn. I need to find me another hydroboost unit.

What options do I have on hydroboost? A new one for 87 is around $140 and that's without the reservoir. I hate the stock cast reservoir that is on the 80s style hydroboost that it why I was trying to go newer. Any body know what other people have done in this case?

Also, box of parts..

Funny thing happened to my Trans Am last Friday. I drove it to work and when I stopped by Harbor Freight, it got really loud. I checked under neath and the damn motor for my exhaust cutout had fallen the hell off.. What the hell?

Overall, it wasn't a very productive weekend but I did get brake lines finished at least, now to just find the hoses I need. I may just have to skimp out a tad and buy the regular rubber hoses instead of the pimp steel braided ones.

So far I know I can use the ones from like a 2WD 96 Silverado, what about the rear? I know it needs to be around 18" long in the back and around 24" up front.
2010 CTS V- The "NastyBuzzard"
1979 Trans Am - Eventually getting 6.0/T56 swap with boost
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote