View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
jocko

Re: Transport Company Recommendations????

Asking for more money is a common ploy. Normally in a brokerage arrangement, the amount you pay up front is the broker's cut and the amount to the trucker upon delivery is his. The trucker is usually the one trying to jack up the price at the last second based on some last minute whatever. But I have had a broker screw with price at the last second when they knew I was up against a hard deadline. In that case I had to rent a trailer and take it myself MD to CA.

If you want dependability - ask if they own their own trucks or if they are a broker. If it HAS to be shipped in a certain window, I'd avoid a broker. I got totally hosed by Angels Moving Autos. Never never no never again. If time not an issue, then a broker may be ok if insured. Keep in mind that with any broker, you can still be hosed by the dorks they contract with. Case in point - my last shipping experience was with a reputable broker - but they could not help when the folks they contracted for my delivery were buffoons. They were late again and again on both pickup and delivery. They actually said they didn't realize Colorado had so many mountains. Not kidding. I missed work, they threatened to raise the price or leave it on the side of the road why I couldn't be present for their THIRD delayed delivery attempt. Anyway, it finally worked out, but it was extremely painful. For what it's worth, that was Swamp Fox shipping out of SC. Unfortunately, my favorite shipper, Bill Demoise Trucking, is no longer in business. I think! Might be worth checking.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote